Painting The Wall If you wish to make improvements or changes to your home at your own cost then you will need to fill out our Resident Improvement Application Form.


You will need written permission from us before you carry out any works. If this is not obtained:

  1. You could be held liable for the costs of returning the property to its original condition.
  2. You may also find yourself being liable if a visitor sustains an injury resulting from any unauthorised works carried out.


We recommend you check the following information.

Examples Of Work That Would Need Permission

Examples of common alterations/improvements for which permission is needed:

  • Removing or fitting built-in cupboards or doors
  • Replacement of kitchen units or bathrooms
  • Replacement of windows
  • Replacement of front or back doors
  • Fitting different light switches or fittings
  • Adding or moving electrical points
  • Building patios or laying decking
  • Additional fencing
  • Erecting a garden shed or summer house
  • Installing a satellite dish
  • Planting any trees or hedges
  • Installing any security such as, but not limited to, Ring doorbells or personal surveillance equipment (CCTV or audio). If these only capture images within the boundary of the private domestic property (including the garden) then the request will be considered.


We will only give permission for equipment that fully complies with the General Data Protection Regulation, the Data Protection Act, the Human Rights Act and any other relevant legislation.


Please note this list is not exhaustive and you should always confirm with us if permission is required prior to carrying out any work.

Can AllĀ ResidentsĀ Get Permission To Make Improvements?

  • No, not all residents will be given permission. You may wish to check your tenancy agreement. For example, if you have rent arrears, outstanding recharges, or any other breach of tenancy, permission will not be granted.
  • Please note that we will not be able to approve installations of surveillance equipment which captures images or audio outside the boundary of your own home and garden. We will refuse any installation where the positioning of the cameras will capture images of neighbouring properties, public or communal areas.

New build properties cannot have any works carried out within the first 12 months while the build is in warranty.

How To Apply

  • The best way to do this is by filling out our Resident Improvement Application Form online. Alternatively, call 0300 304 5000 and request that a resident improvement application is sent to you. Please return it with any supporting documentation you may wish to provide by email to
  • If your application is to install a kitchen or bathroom, we will require 2 quotes and full information of the product to be used with your application.
    Please note: If it is not a similar brand to our current planned replacements, it may not be agreed.

Please note: For the length of your tenancy you will be responsible for any repairs relating to the items you have replaced.

Our Commitment to You

  • We confirm we will respond within 30 working days in writing with either an approval, rejection or with a surveyor’s appointment to visit your property if necessary.
  • Please be aware that when carrying out works to your property, we may also request a post-inspection of the works which will be carried out by one of our surveyors.

You must notify us when the works are completed so that we can ensure the standard is satisfactory for our properties.