Changes to your household

Keeping Our Information Up-To-Date

 To check that we have the correct information and that the right people are living in our properties, we carry out regular tenancy audits.

  • However, it is a resident’s responsibility to inform us if there are any changes to their household, such as the birth of a new child or the breakdown of a relationship.


How Do I Provide This Information?

Please contact your Housing Officer in writing and provide supporting evidence. For example, a birth certificate.

  • Scanned copies of documents can be sent to us by email. Please include your name and household address, and a good quality photograph where appropriate.

We will then be able to advise you of the information we need for our records and if any changes to your tenancy are required.

Taking Over A Tenancy When a Household Member Passes Away

Passing on Your Tenancy

Can I pass my tenancy onto a relative if I no longer need it?

You may be able to assign (pass on) your tenancy to another family member following the death of a tenant or due to a relationship breakdown. However, this will depend on which type of tenancy you have.

  • If your relationship with a joint tenant breaks down, you should always seek independent legal advice as this can be a very complicated issue
  • If you cannot agree who should remain as a tenant, then a court will need to decide and make an order to assign the tenancy
  • You must report any changes in your circumstances immediately so our records can be amended and appropriate advice given
  • Assignment is also used when residents agree to a mutual exchange of property.


Inheriting Your Tenancy (Succession)

If you have a joint tenancy with a partner and they pass away, the tenancy will continue for you. However, when you pass away there are no further rights to pass the tenancy on. This means anyone left in the property will be asked to move out.

There are legal differences between secure and assured tenancies and individual circumstances will need to be discussed with your Housing Officer. However, in most cases a partner would have the right to take over the tenancy, providing they lived at the address as a partner and there has been no previous succession.

Succession to a tenancy does not always mean remaining in the same home. For example, if you would substantially under-occupy the property, we would find alternative accommodation suitable for your needs.

Please contact us if need further advice.

Lodgers And Sublettings

Your tenancy agreement will state if you have the right to take in a lodger or sublet part of your property. This would normally be agreed as long as:

  1. You have abided by your conditions of tenancy, and
  2. You do not overcrowd your home or allow them the sole use of the property.

You will be asked for specific information about the lodger/sublet, including:

  • Their name
  • Their date of birth
  • When they wish move in and out
  • The rent you wish to charge.

Please remember: 

  • You always need to request permission to have a lodger or sublet
  • You must have this permission in writing before allowing the person to live in your home
  • Taking in a lodger may affect your Housing Benefit entitlement. Please check with your local Housing Benefit department.