Lodgers and subletting

Your tenancy will state if you have the right to take in a lodger or sublet part of your property.  This would normally be agreed as long as you have abided by your conditions of tenant and that you do not overcrowd your home or allow them sole use of the property. You will be asked for specific information about the lodger/sub let ie their name, date of birth, and when they wish move in and out, and the rent you wish to charge. In all cases, you need to request permission to have a lodger or sub let and you must have this permission in writing before allowing the person to live in your home.

Please remember, taking in a lodger may affect your housing benefit entitlement. Please check with your local Housing Benefit department.