Responsibility For Repairs
As your landlord, we have a legal duty to carry out certain repairs and modifications when these are needed. As legislation changes, the responsibility for specific repairs may also change. This means that there may be times when we have carried out certain repairs in the past but because of changes in the law, a specific repair may be come your responsibility, or vice versa.
Examples of repairs we are responsible for:
- Structure and exterior of your home for example roof, chimney and external flues, walls, windows sills
- External decoration
- Hard wired smoke alarms. If your smoke detector is wired into the main electrical system, and has a battery back up, we still recommend you test it regularly to ensure it's working. These types of detectors usually have a label on it which gives an estimated life span of the battery; the labels are normally changed when our repairs contractor, Axis, replace the battery. However, on the odd occasion the operative may forget to do this, or the label may fall off. If you notice your label shows an old date, or you have any concerns about the detector, please call our repairs line on 0300 304 5000 who will be happy to help
- Interior walls (not including decoration), skirting boards, letter boxes, ceilings
- Installations for supply of water, gas, electricity and sanitation such as basins and waste pipes
- Heating where fitted by us
- Gates, fences, ramps, outhouses etc where fitted by us (if not gifted)
- Communal areas.
- Interior decorating
- Changing fuses and light bulbs
- If you have a battery smoke detector in your property, please test it regularly, and change the battery when needed.
- Replacing door keys and locks where you lose the key
- To replace a fob for a communal door which has been lost, broken, etc please contact us, noting replacements are chargeable.
- Plugs, chains, shower heads & hoses (shower heads and hoses should be replaced with the same make otherwise this can affect the shower's performance. You could possibly incur a recharge if the shower then has to be replaced)
- Blocked sink,bath,toilet. Initially for tenant to try to unblock with a plunger etc. If unsuccessful to report to the repairs line. If a foreign object found it maybe rechargeable.
- Other bathroom fittings, including replacement of toilet seats
- Floor coverings with exception of kitchen & bathroom
- Washing lines
- Bleeding the radiators
- Maintaining private gardens including all vegetation and trees within your garden, dustbins and refuse areas
- Gaining entry to the property due to lost keys, broken windows and any other damage not from general wear and tear
- Fittings and appliances supplied by yourself, such as plumbing in washing machines
- Anything you have installed/fitted within the property yourself
- Pest control within your own house or flat. This includes mice and bed bugs. We will fill holes if necessary following removal. If the problem is in a communal area, please notify us to deal with it
- Key safe if you require one to be fitted, please check with us and confirm the reason why. In some cases this will be carried out, but please bear in mind it may be chargeable.
Certain repairs carried out by Estuary can be charged back to the resident such as window breakage, sink breakage etc.