Winter Fuel Payments
We will need to keep ourselves warm during the winter period. Of course, using the heating can be expensive.
Can I Get Any Help With These Extra Costs?
The government provides help with the costs of fuel bills over the winter period for some people. This year the following two schemes are available:
£140 Off Electricity For Some Low Income Users
You could get £140 off your electricity bill for winter 2019 to 2020 under the Warm Home Discount Scheme. To qualify, you must either be either:
- In receipt of the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit, or
- On a low income and meet your energy supplier's criteria for the scheme.
- Tell me more about the Warm Home Discount Scheme
Winter Fuel Payments 2019/20
If you were born on or before 5 April 1954 you could get between £100 and £300 to help you pay your heating bills. This is known as a ‘Winter Fuel Payment’.
You usually do not need to claim Winter Fuel Payment - you will get it automatically if you’re eligible. To check if you are eligible, please see this GOV.UK page.
You will need to claim it if you have not had it before and any of the following apply:
- you do not get benefits or a State Pension
- you only get Universal Credit, Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction or Child Benefit
You also need to claim Winter Fuel Payment if you have deferred your State Pension, even if you had it before. You only need to do this once.
- Tell me more about Winter Fuel Payments