Cleaning and Gardening

Cleaning and Gardening

GEMS are the main provider of cleaning and gardening of our grounds. Hi Spec deliver services to our customers in Clacton and Colchester.

GEMS and Hi Spec are responsible for the cleaning of internal communal areas and the grounds maintenance in our neighbourhoods. While on our rounds, our teams also report repairs, environmental issues such as fly tipping and communal ASB. You can view our service standard in the Service Standards area.

If you have any questions for the GEMS team, you can contact us directly, or call 0300 304 5000.

Email GEMS

Recycling and Bulk Waste


The majority of our neighbourhoods have recycling facilities, however if these refuse containers are not used correctly they may be removed by your Local Authority. Often we find that people like to recycle but they are unaware of what is required. The websites listed below will be able to provide you with information and guidance and provide you with alternative locations to recycle in your area.

If you require recycling bags, food waste bags, food caddies or any other items to enable you to start recycling, get in contact with your Local Authority and they will be able to provide with information on how to get them.

Useful Links

Bulk Waste & Green Waste

We do not provide a bulk waste collection, the service charge covers the removal of illegally disposed of waste. We understand it can be challenging to find ways to dispose of household items or green waste.

There are a number of ways you can dispose of your unwanted items, including:

  • Donate them - a number of charities will collect furniture and other household items if they are in a reasonable condition
  • Freecycle - there are a number of online market places where people will pick up your unwanted items
  • Bulk Waste Collection - most Local Authorities provide a bulk waste collection for a fee. It may not be as much as you think!
  • Local Tip - in some areas local amenity sites will allow to take household items and furniture and dispose of them free of charge.

You can also use the to find your local provider of bulky waste collections

Local Authority Waste Collections

Missed Collections

If you have had a missed collection this needs to be reported to the Local Authority as soon as possible, they will make the arrangements for the waste containers to be emptied.

Missed collections can occur for a number of reasons and can cause a number of issues where you live, to reduce the likelihood of a missed collection, please ensure all bags are placed in the waste containers provided as obstructions in front of the waste containers can lead to missed collections. Only place household bagged waste in the containers, disposing of household items and furniture may result in a missed collection, it also means there is less space for people to dispose of their waste. Do not park or obstruct the entrance to the refuse areas and ensure only recycling is placed is the recycling waste containers it is common for a recycling bin not to be collected due to contamination with general waste.

Report a Missed Collection

You can usually report missed collections via Local Authority Websites