Once a year we are legally obliged to carry out a gas safety test to make sure that the gas appliances in your home are safe.
During our gas safety inspection, we will service and repair all our gas appliances and let you know about any faults on your own appliances such as your cooker. Appliances that are serviced regularly are less likely to break down. This will reduce the liklihood of your heating system breaking down leaving you with no heating or hot water.
We will need gas and electricity to service your central heating. If you have prepayment meters, please make sure there is credit in them when we call of a maximum of £10.
If we cannot service your central heating because there is no gas or electric, we will have to turn the gas supply off temporarily for your own safety.
Making an Appointment
The Associations Gas Contractor, Axis Gas, will send you an appointment before they call to do your gas safety inspection. If the appointment does not suit you, please contact Axis Gas on 0808 169 1969 option 1 and they will rearrange it to a time that suits you better. Please tell us beforehand, giving us as much notice as possble. We understand that mistakes do happen, so if you forget and you are out when they call, they will leave a card to let you know they have been. You must contact them as soon as possible to arrange another appointment. If you do not answer our letters or fail to keep to appointments, we will take legal action against you to access your home to carry out the gas safety inspection.
What if I Don’t Respond?
If you lose your letter or forget to respond, we will make two further attempts to contact you for your gas safety test. If you do not respond after our attempts, we will take legal action which could include:
- A Notice of Seeking Possession for a breach of the tenancy agreement and possible action that leads to eviction
- Application to a court for an Injunction to force you to allow us access. An Injunction which will allow us to enter your property even if you do not allow access. If we have to make arrangements to force access, we will charge you for our costs. Failure to comply with a Court Injunction can lead to a prison sentence.
If You Smell Gas
- Turn your gas off at the meter
- Ring National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999
- Open your doors and windows
- Do not switch anything electric on or off as this could create sparks
- Do not smoke or light a match
- Contact repairs on 0808 169 1969 for an Axis emergency gas engineer